Wednesday, June 1, 2011

It came from above

Yesterday we had a really lovely day.
We went to the natural history museum and saw awesome things like a blue whale and this bear:

Then we lay around central park eating shake shack burgers and napping.


It was a beautiful warm day and felt like the the laziest and loveliest afternoon I have had in a long time, which is really something considering I just returned from Mexico.
However, this beautiful day was almost totally ruined by a squirrel.
First let me say that I love squirrels and I am very excited to see them dashing about the place with their cute faces and fuzzy tails. So normally the sight of a squirrel would just add joy to my day, not terror and despair as happened yesterday.

There we were, wandering around the park after our burgers and naps, just casually ambling along the path in the dappled shade. KJ was telling a story about something funny that happened at work and I was giggling away thinking about how friggen nice everything was when very suddenly, a squirrel dropped out of the sky, whooshed right past our faces and landed with a splat on the path in front of us.
We stopped dead in our tracks, staring at the squirrel and wondering what the fuck had just happened. It seemed to have fallen in a vertical line, as if a trapdoor had opened beneath it, and made a sound like a water balloon hitting concrete when it hit the ground.
It lay on the ground, badly contorted but still moving in a way that said to me I have done myself some severe spinal damage but I am not dead, but I am probably in quite a lot of pain, and maybe I will die.
I really could not believe my eyes. First of all,
why did the squirrel fall out of the tree??? Squirrels are tree dwellers, right? They need to be all over that shit. And why did it land on it's back, and not on its paws, like a cat would? Why squirrel, why?
Of course, I didn't have time to ponder these questions because of the obvious pain of the squirrel, which by this time had stopped moving and was just lying there. It was obvious that one of us would have to poke the squirrel and see whether it was dead, and if still alive, one of us would have to put it out of its misery. It was also obvious that neither of us were going to do that and the best thing would be to get out of there as soon as possible before someone came along and thought that we were somehow responsible for this animal's misery, which I was kind of how I was feeling. I put one tentative foot forward to make good my escape when just as suddenly as the squirrel had fallen, it jumped to its feet and ran off in to the bushes.
WTF?!?!
After the relief of not having to perform a mercy kill subsided, I started to feel like I had been Punk'd. I still feel weird about it in fact. And like maybe I can't trust squirrels any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment