Friday, June 10, 2011

TGIF indeed

You know I work from home and I try and only work two days a week so Friday doesn't mean what it once did. But I still hear where you are coming from. Partly because if I don't get all my work done in those two days it hangs over my head all week, then on the weekend I just tell it to fuck right off.

Working from home in some ways is nice. It means I don't have to travel far and I don't have to deal with people. But also it means I don't have time to use my sweet new headphones on my way to work and I don't get to deal with people. When I go to get a cup of tea I never run in to anyone for a quick chat and just mutter to myself about what happened on Master Chef last night.

BUT! I used to work in an office. And boy howdy I wish it had intranet! I think there was an intranet maybe, but not the kind anyone used for public forums. You are so lucky. That shit about the fruit basket is gold. The nuts are in little packets, right? Plastic packets? How they going to get on the fruit and kill all those nut allergists? Don't people at your work have work to do?

I remember when we started getting a fruit basket at work. Also twice a week I think. That actually caused quite a lot of controversy. You see that office had this massive range of biscuits, tim tams, caramel crowns, mint slice, scotch finger, this delicious thing called a honey jumble I never even knew about! (They are delicious! Know about them!)
Also barbeque shapes, pizza shapes, cheds. It was nuts (not literally). And all free and accessible. Then the fruit bowl came in and you had to pay 50 cents per piece of fruit!

TIM TAMS WERE FREE BUT FRUIT COST $0.50! Well! You can imagine what an uproar that caused. I have to say I was on the side of free fruit and less biscuits. There was a piece of paper in the tea room where people would write down their feelings and nothing would happen. Then the GFC hit. The biscuit range shrank, people stopped putting in their 50 cents for fruit and 20 people were made redundant. I guess this story isn't so funny after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment