Wednesday, June 22, 2011

My first lunchbreak post

So while reading your post, I pulled up another interweb tab and googled 'German Stats' because I wanted to remind myself what our German stats are. Obviously, I was not going to find the Miss Soft Crab reader stats by googling 'German stats' , but most of my brain is trying to do work leaving only some of my brain for fun things like reading your post and absolutely no part of my brain remaining to do things like follow up on MSC reader stats. Obviously by googling 'German stats' I did a really dumb thing. But it made me realise: I don't think I have enough brain to do all the things I want to do. And I'm not talking things like 'write a novel' or 'become the President of the Melbourne Football Club'. I mean just the basic, day to day things I might want/need to do while I'm at work. They say that if you want to get something done, you should get a busy person to do it. I don't think that's true. Seriously, please don't come near me when I am really busy. Also, why are these people looking for other people to do things for them? Do it yourselves!
But seriously, I guess it got me thinking that I really shouldn't be writing these blog posts at the same time as trying to do work. Because while googling something dumb is a pretty minor consequence of trying to do two things at once, one day I am going to really screw up because I am trying to do something that requires brain power when my brain is already fully committed.

Like, for example, maybe one day I will be working at a place where I have to deal with a lot of freaks, and maybe some of these freaks will be people I work WITH, and therefore maybe I will have to spend a lot of time mucking around with my like minded colleagues to make it bearable. Maybe one day one of these freaks will send a bunch of all-staff emails advising of problems they seem to be having with their phone. Maybe there will be about five emails in the space of an hour that say things like


10:00am "There seems to be a problem with my phone. If you are trying to get in touch, please email".


10:05am "I have called a technician to deal with the phone problem".


10:30am "The technician is here and thinks it's going to be a quick fix - should be back up in half an hour."


10:30am "Looks like it make take longer than expected".


10:40am "All fixed! My phone is back in action".



Maybe I will not be able to take it any more and will forward the last email to a like minded colleague who sits two desks away from me and write "Who the f*#k cares". Maybe I will carry on working and wait to see this colleague's shoulders start to rapidly move up and down, which is a tell-tale sign that he is laughing, but trying not to make any noise. Maybe, because I am concentrating at work and can't do two things at once, it will take me about half an hour to realise that I have neither seen the shoulders move, nor received a reply to the email.

Maybe then it will start to dawn on me that something has gone horribly wrong. Maybe then I will check my outbox and realise that I have hit the 'reply' button instead of the 'forward' button.

And maybe then my heart will drop in to the pit of my stomach and I will start quietly freaking out like I have never freaked out before. Maybe I will decide to bolt outside and call the person who wrote all the emails and just straight up apologise. Maybe I will do that. Maybe I will blurt out an apology. Maybe that person will advise me that they have just, and I mean the week before, stared dating someone that they have been chasing for years, thereby placing them on to some sort of cloud nine where things like personal insults made directly against them just roll right off. So maybe by some miracle it will actually turn out fine, but I will age about a year in the space of a day.

Or maybe none of that will happen, but I will just do a bad job at everything because I don't have heaps of brain to go around.

So from now on, I am just going to do a little blog post on my lunch break while I have no other distractions.
I guess this one is not so little, but I took an hour for lunch today, so you know.

1 comment: