Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Penguin Post



I love penguins.
I think it is because they waddle. And then drop to their tummies when they are sick of waddling and slide along the ice for a little while. Also, they look so neat, like they are wearing suits.
But they can also be so heartbreaking.
Sometimes, penguins get lost and end up separated from their penguin crews. Doesn't the thought of a penguin that is alone and far far far away from home break your heart a little bit?
Take this guy, who turned up in New Zealand yesterday. What are you doing in New Zealand little guy? You live in Antarctica! The article says he appears really well fed, and that reassures me. But he looks so out of place, all alone on that beach staring at some guy in a backpack. A guy with a backpack is not going to provide the kind of companionship that a young penguin needs! I just feel like this is going to work out really badly. I guess my reservations are informed by this, the saddest thing I have ever seen. Watch it all the way to the end people, the bit where Werner says that the Penguin is headed for "certain death".
This is why I am worried that things won't work out for the New Zealand penguin.
But I guess I am less worried and the NZ penguin than I am about the one who is headed for certain death in the mountains. He is well fed and has his friend with the backpack after all.

Plus, I find this so amusing that I guess I can listen to Werner's commentary about the penguin with a touch of amusement, rather than despair like I did the first time.
Still, I hope everything works out for the NZ penguin, because I like the cut of his jib. And the cut of all penguin jibs. I really like penguins.

No comments:

Post a Comment