Wednesday, June 15, 2011

I ate a new thing last night

I like to eat everything that's offered to me so I don't miss out on anything delicious. Apart from rockmelon/cantaloupe, I pretty much like all food so it's a safe bet that if I eat something new, i'm going to like it.
Through the course of all this eating I have discovered a particular fondness for processed meat. My first love was strasbourg, which my Mum used to put in our sandwiches for school. I love the shit out of that stuff. When I was little, Mum used to get 250g of strasbourg from the deli at Coles New World in Elsternwick. Always 250g, and always she would ask for a slice before they wrapped it up, and always she would give me that slice. I still love stras, but my tastes have matured. Now I like all the processed meats. Kabana, salami, prosciutto, to name just a few. They are all delicious! I even made my own salami one year. RoRo, one of my friends from work, invited me along to her family's salami making day. Here I am grinding the pork under the watchful eye of RoRo's Dad.
That salami was delicious, but I would add more chili next time.
Anyway, it was this love of processed meat the led me to try biltong last night. I was at a trivia night at the Union Hotel in Brunswick and feeling a little demoralised because I didn't know any of the answers like I do at the pop culture trivia night at the East Brunswick Club. Anyway, J-Pav had a bag of biltong that his mother sent him from Perth because she doesn't think he is looking after himself. I'd never even heard of this biltong before, but when told that it's a dried meat akin to beef jerky, I thought it was important that I try some.
Texturally, biltong is no party. Biting in to it is like biting in to a belt. Obviously I've bitten a belt before, and that's how I know what the sensation is like. I'm sure i'm not the only member of the Miss Soft Crab family to have chomped on a belt. But back to the biltong. In addition to the general toughness of the texture, it lost points for tasting funny. It didn't taste like meat. Personally, I reach for meat when I want the taste of delicious meat. Biltong tastes kind of like salty molasses. It wasn't unpleasant, but it's not really delicious either. Of course I'll give it another shot, but if it doesn't get more delicious then I think I am going to revert to kabana.

No comments:

Post a Comment