Monday, June 20, 2011

I just have one question

What the eff is going on with print advertising?! Specifically billboards. Seriously, WTF?!?!

So driving south on Punt Rd I see the Harry Potter billboard for HP7P2. Which I love. Obviously. Driving north I see an ad for transition lenses. Which I hate. Because it has got to be one of the ugliest ads I have ever seen.

Why does that woman look like her eyes are rolling back in her head? Why does she have that stupid expression on her face? And why did someone airbrush the shit out of her?

I am pretty sure that Transitions are going to have to try a lot harder to overcome their dorky image.

But this is just one of many ads lately that have really made me ask WTF? Is there some new aesthetic that has completely passed me by?!

Here is an ad that I saw frequently on trams not so long ago for the clothing brand Wish.

I don't understand why this woman looks like she has a dislocated shoulder. I don't understand why she looks like a corpse. And not in some heroin chic way, but just in a decomposed face way. I don't understand why she is a giant.

I guess I should feel happy that at least there is no way this advertising is going to work on me. There was another ad I was seeing a lot that elicited the same feelings which I would like to write about, but obviously these campaigns are completely ineffective so I have no idea what it was. It took me weeks to figure out the last ad was for Wish.

But I also feel sad. Either the advertising people are really out of touch or I am. And the fact that these super ugly ads keep popping up all over the place is making me think that maybe I am the out of touch one! WTF!?

1 comment:

  1. You may want to submit that Wish ad to Photoshop Disasters: http://www.psdisasters.com/2010/12/top-20-photoshop-disasters-of-2010.html

    The Shiseido is my favourite

    ReplyDelete