Wednesday, June 15, 2011

They don't make them like they used to

I'm not making a judgement call on whether anything was better in the olden days than now, but last night I was watching At the Movies and they were talking about their classic film. This week it was Hud. A Paul Newman film where he plays this kind of a-hole. But he is real smooth and looks real pretty in it.

In the scene this picture is taken from he asks the female lead "Have you still got that itch?" But it's not gross. It's kind of hot. It's hard to imagine that working now.

In 1963, when Hud was made, number one hits included Roy Orbison's awesome 'In Dreams'.


And the adorable 'Sukiyaki'. (I believe 'Hello Mudda, Hello Fuddah' was also a number one that year, but only for one week so my nostalgia for a time I wasn't around for is making me overlook this fact.)

Apparently at the moment the number is a song called 'Party Rock Anthem'. Believe me when I say, this is no Roy Orbison.

Granted Snoop Dogg was also number one this year, but even Snoop Dogg isn't what he used to be. His latest number one, 'Sweat' is full of vocoder and not nearly as awesome as such classic hits as 'Gin and Juice', 'What's My Name' or even 'Drop it Like it's Hot'.

So actually I guess I am totally making a judgement on whether things were better then or now.

No comments:

Post a Comment