Thursday, June 16, 2011

In defense of our times

Straight up, let me say that I totally hear what you are saying about the greatness of Paul and Roy and the lameness of both Party Rock Anthem and the general calibre of contemporary heart trobs. No one is more sickened by Bradley Cooper's rise to leading man status than I am. And no one is more baffled by Sparkleface's heart throb status than I am. I know a grown woman who pretty much loses her shit at the mere mention of Sparkleface's name (of course I am talking about Chambo), and honestly, space travel makes more sense to me than that. So in these ways, I have to agree that things may well have been better back in the day.

I know we've been saying this a lot lately, but it's funny that you should bring this up because it is basically the central theme of the film Midnight in Paris that KJ and I saw in NYC . It's all about how we romanticise times gone by, especially their intellectual and cultural offerings, and dismiss our own times because we are insecure about ourselves and incapable of carpe-ing our diems. Obviously, that's not a cool thing to do. But as noted, sometimes stuff was actually better before, like the work of Woody Allen (though I did like Midnight in Paris quite a lot), the work of Snoop Dogg, the work of David Bowie and the fact that if you put those foil chip wrappers in the oven, they would shrink! All these things were better before. Fact.


But I think it's important to appreciate our current times, because they have produced some of seriously awesomest stuff! Such as:



The Internet! People, don't we all love the Internet? It's so fun! And educational! It used to not exist at all and now it does! We're so lucky!







Antibiotics! Who's had a urinary tract infection before? Now tell me, who wants to live in a time before antibiotics? None of you guys, I hope, are you guys crazy?! (Obviously I know that there were antibiotics in the sixties, but you get where I am going with this.


And of course, this guy:






I'm pretty sure that Ewan could say anything the old timey movie stars said, and it would sound just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment