Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Don't be alarmed

My friend L-bomb is (was?) obsessed with perms. She kind of wanted one. But she has this beautiful straight thick hair and she was never, ever going to get one. And I think that is wise. But she had no qualms about trying to make me get one. "Girlfriend, you crazy" I used to say to her. Until she ripped out this picture from a magazine and told me this is how she thought I could look.


That girl sure has a stupid expression on her face but I do like her hair. I carried this picture around in my diary for the rest of the year. And when it was time to retire that diary I put it away.

I've been trying to grow my hair for some time. The last few years really and then recently I had a very upsetting experience with my now ex-hairdresser and I realised that hairdresser-client relationships can't last forever. I still hate this haircut. Or rather I feel nothing good about. The initial horrors have gone, that horrible feeling, as you described it, ‘…robbed, cheated and totally wronged. And also mad at yourself for being complicit’, it’s fading. But I still don't feel good about this haircut and I can't see how things are going to get better. I mean sure I can keep growing it but I kind of feel like I want to do something different. And then I started to think about the L-bomb and the perm.

Perm technology has probably come a really long way, right? Unless it hasn't developed because no-one gets perms any more. Do people get perms? Could a perm look good? I don't want to say the word perm again. It's kind of grossing me out. I feel conflicted.

No comments:

Post a Comment