Friday, October 21, 2011

Friday Favourites: The Last Waltz

So we're all really excited about the George Harrison documentary right? Right!
I'm totally going to watch the hell out of it this weekend.
George is, hands down, my favourite Beatle. Those dreamy eyes. The song "Here Comes the Sun".
I love George.  But really,  it's Martin Scorsese movies that I love the most, and of all the films he has made, I think the documentary The Last Waltz might be my favourite. At the very least, it's today's Friday Favourite.

I am sure everyone knows all about this film, but let me do a quick summary: it is a documentary about the final days of the band The Band, culminating in their last performance at which every 1970s man and his dog also performed.

Why don't we have a quick look at the preview?

As you can see, every 1970s (wo) man and his dog.
First and foremost, it is a music documentary, and the music in The Last Waltz rules. Joni Mitchell and Neil Young are my faves I think, but everyone is kind of awesome, even Neil Diamond.
But The Band are, of course, where it's really at. They play their little gutses out and in between times, they talk about what it's been like to be The Band and what will happen next, now they are basically letting go of it all. It's incredible really, that they give up on this thing that they have loved doing for so long, but  need to let go of or else something terrible might happen. They are basically quitting while they are ahead, which is super super hard to get right, and from the looks on their faces in this film they appear to have no idea whether they really are getting it right.

It's a wonderful film everybody. I hope you've all seen it. If you haven't, I hope you do.
Would you like another reason to see it? How about lovely Levon Helm singing The night they drove old dixie down?



There's a good reason for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment