Monday, October 31, 2011

Essential Details of the Chutney Club Spring Session

Yesterday, the Chutney Club held its Spring meeting.
Folks got pretty creative.
Here's the wrap up. Chutney by Chutney.

Harissa, by Biz*.
Biz always manage to make their chutneys look as pretty as they taste. They served this delicious harissa atop potato tortilla and finished the whole thing off with some roasted eggplant.

Sourdough starter by Miguel and Legsley
M + L  came up with a genius idea to make a sourdough starter, instead of chutney. Because what's the one thing you need when you have a lot of chutney? Stuff to put it on, stuff like bread. Miguel used the starter to make a sample loaf which was delicious, so delicious that I forgot to take a photo of it. D'oh! (Get it? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA)
Anyway, they gave us all a bottle of sourdough starter, so we can make our own delicious bread. They included instructions so we can keep the starter active. So helpful.
Stay alive, little guy.


Tomato and Chilli chutney, by Biggie Little
As previously noted, Biggie Little makes a very fine chilli chutney. He is like a chilli whisperer. This time, he made chilli and tomato chut, a dead set classic. He served it with sausages and I hope you are all impressed that I managed to take a photo when he was putting this in my face.

Pickled grapes, by J
J made delicious pickled grapes that were lovely and fragrant and taste good with cheeses. She also made rosemary and sea salt flat bread that, unsurprisingly, was also delicious. You can see her whole spread to the left of the red wine in the picture below.
Brussels Sprout Sauerkraut by David and Welly
I love brussels sprouts. Always have. I don't understand why they have a terrible reputation. And I don't understand why I have never had them as sauerkraut before, because they were so lovely. Here is what they look like in a big jar with a plate on top of them.
And here is what they look like on top of a sausage, coming right for you.

Babaganoush, by me
I made babaganoush. I know babaganoush isn't chutney, but it is delicious, and I thought we could all use some this delightful Melbourne Cup long weekend. I served it with fresh chapattis that I made, but forgot to take pictures of. Instead, here is a picture of a really big tomato I grew one summer.
While that covers all of the 'chutneys', there was one other extremely special thing that we ate. It was so good that I think it deserves its own post, and I have a pretty good feeling that J might take care of that for us this arvo.

Stay tuned to MSC!


*Check out our new Who's Who page for a handy guide to the Miss Soft Crab cast of characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment