Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Tuesday's post (PM)

Inspiration really can be hard to find, but not when you put a picture of James McAvoy in my face. 
What a handsome little hunk of shortbread he is.  Movie producers: put him in more goddamn movies for god's sake!

In truth, I also find the amount of fat British chefs put in their recipes quite inspirational.

For example, there is this recipe for black pepper tofu in the Ottolenghi book Plenty. Here it is in the internet.  Hang on a sec, it actually looks more delicious  in the book, let me just go get that and show you guys.

Looks good, right?
Every time I would flip through the book I would be drawn to this black pepper tofu because it looked so goddamn delicious. Hot. Spicy. Caramelly. But also kind of fresh because of the asian flavours, which no matter how hearty, always seem to make things taste fresh.
I made it recently.
Now you'd expect a bit of oil in something like this. No surprises there. But because Ottolenghi works out of England and therefore is kind of an English chef, the recipe also requires 150g of butter.
I followed the recipe because who am I to argue with Ottolenghi, and readers, the results were truly inspirational. As expected it is hot, spicy and caramelly,  but also like the most delicious tofu you have ever had - better even than that kentucky fried tofu you used to be able to get from the Kum Den.
Now obviously it's not an everyday thing, but it sure is an inspirational little east-west mind blower.

3 comments:

  1. I have actually eaten this, guys, and it is amazing. Not the one that K made. I ate the one that my Gay Husband made and let me tell you, it was extraordinary. So hot I needed to discreetly wipe my nose with a hanky, and yet so delicately flavoured I nearly wept.

    This dish is both inspired and inspiring. Thanks for reminding me, pals!

    One thing that is weird is that the best dish I have ever eaten is the salt and pepper tofu at Longrain. I am not even a vegetarian, and here I am biggin' up the tofu. It is like eating clouds. Salty, peppery clouds. This Ottolenghi dish is almost - almost - as good.

    Best (this dish is the),
    Chops

    ReplyDelete
  2. TOFU RULES, OK!?

    Also, I am not saying those fat filled dishes aren't delicious, I'm just saying, sheesh, I wish those guys would offer something a little less fat-intensive so I could make the delicious food mroe often.

    That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,everyone my name is mlmvc from USA i never ever believed in spell until i meet a man called Dr upesa, who help me cast a spell that bring back my ex-lover who left me for one years before our marriage,His spells works beyond my imaginations and today i am happily married two kids and me and my [ex-lover] now husband are very happy more than ever before,what more can i say rather than to say thank you Dr upesa for been there for me,contact him today and your life will never ever remain the same his email is upesalovetemple@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete