Wednesday, April 18, 2012

HAPPY MOTHER FLIPPING BIRTHDAY MISS SOFT CRAB!!! (PM)

Poor J, being sick is a total bummer. And today, of all days, Miss Soft Crab's motherflipping first birthday, the day we were each going to fulfil (my) childhood dream by each making a whole cake for ourselves!

Oh well. Happily, I can advise that I did indeed make a birthday cake for Miss Soft Crab, and I'm even happier to report that though I made it up, it worked out pretty darn well. 

Here it is, readers. 

I call it Peaches and Cream. 
It's a vanilla sponge layer cake with peach flavoured ricotta cream, and peach frosting.  Nothing but the best for MSC, right? 
I wont bore you with details of making the cake. I mean, you guys know how it goes. You make a cake. You divide it in between two pans. You bake it. 
The frosting however, now that really is something else. First, you make a syrup with one cup of sugar, one cup of water and in this case, a few teaspoons of peach juice. You simmer this syrup for quite a while, until it bubbles and boils and gets to a temperature of 230 degrees - that is, you practically turn it in to toffee. Meanwhile, you whip egg whites with a little sugar to soft peaks. Once the syrup is hot enough, you pour it in to the egg whites and beat for 7 minutes (why they only start the clock at this point I don't really understand) and voila, you've got your seven minute frosting. It's really quite delicious, something like a creamy toffee. In order to give mine the kind of peachy flair I was looking for, I added a little peach schnapps and  so it basically tastes like peachy, creamy toffee. Effing delicious!

But back to the mother flipping celebrations!!

I lit some candles and drank a toast to MSC's first year. 



I have all of this peach schnapps now you see. 

Then, because I am only human, I cut myself a slice and put it in my cake hole. What? That's what it's called.  


It was yummy and all, but Mate, I really wished we were hanging out and eating it at your place, with LB drifting in and out of the room acting like he isn't listening to everything we are saying, and Baby frolicking around being cute. I mean, childhood dreams aside, MSC is not about doing solitary things, it's about hanging out on the internet as well as real life. 
I made do though, with a toy Baby left behind last time you guys were here. 

Say hello, Mr Pinky. 
That guy is mad about peach schnapps! Not really. He's not real, I know that.  
Anyway, I guess this just goes to show that real life is not like TV, but it is pretty effing great, right? 
Happy birthday MSC!

No comments:

Post a Comment