Monday, April 2, 2012

It's Complicated (PM)

I have two key points in response to this morning's post. 

The first point relates to bedtime.
I sometimes wonder whether a regular bedtime would make life more bearable. These days, I go to bed whenever I please, because that is the adult's prerogative. But I do spend an awful lot of time feeling really tired, and I can't ignore the correlation.
Sometimes I think that if I go to bed at 10pm I will feel much more on top of things, but is it really sustainable? What if I can't go to sleep at that time and I'm just left lying there like a chump? That's what all of childhood was like! I don't want to go back to that. I need to speak to someone who has instituted this system. Readers, if any of you guys do it, please leave a comment below and tell me what it's like.

The second point relates to winter and how cold it is and how it seems to last forever.
I know I'm late coming to the party on this, but I just started watching Game of Thrones the other day and a lot of it is set in "the North" which in their world is really cold, unlike the north of Australia which we all know is nice and warm. Not only does it look really cold, but they like to talk about how cold it is. And if someone wants to insult someone else, they say something like "you think this is cold? you don't know real cold" and it is nearly always snowing while they say it which makes me think it is in fact quite cold so this other level of cold must be off the charts. They also insult people by calling them bastards and whores a lot.
Anyway, the way they cope with the cold in Game of Thrones is to wear lots of fur, and they sleep under lovely fur blankets. After watching a few episodes one can't help but think Fur. Of course. That's how practical people stay warm in the winter. Now obviously the people of "the North" do not have to consider the ethical issues with wearing fur that we here in contemporary times have to consider. But nor do they have to fear Melbourne cold getting in to their bones in, say, May and not leaving until November. That's all I'm saying.

This guys is one of the bastards from Game of Thrones, and here he is modelling some fur. 

No comments:

Post a Comment