Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Dogs of my dreams (AM)

I spend a lot of time thinking about getting a dog. I would love a dog so damned much.
The problem is, I live in the tiniest flat in the world, and am away from it for the majority of each day.These are not good conditions for a little doggy.
Still, I long for one.

Sometimes, I go looking around the internet for dogs that need a new home. Other times, I do google searches such as "dog breeds that are OK with living in a small flat, and being alone for most of the day".If I see a cute dog being taken for a walk around my neighbourhood, I rush home to research that breed's attributes and aptitude for small flat living. I actually spend a lot of time researching dogs on the internet. This is how I know that there is a lot of extremely charming writing about dogs and their little doggy personalities on the internet, and to this I have lost hours of my life. I can't help it! When you don't have a dog, you read about dogs a lot and then imagine what your life would be like if you had one.


Check out something I read recently, about the Italian Greyhound:


 
"The young dog is often particularly active, and this high level of activity may lead them to attempt ill-advised feats of athleticism that can result in injury."







Ill-advised feats of athleticism! That sounds so cute! And of course it made me wonder what such feats could be. Perhaps playing rough with a St Bernard? Running a little doggy marathon? Whatever it is, it sounds pretty adorable, though I imagine the person who wrote that probably had to spend a lot of money at the vet some time after such an occasion and that is uncool. No vet bills when you just read about dogs on the internet though!
 
Wanna know something about the Hungarian Vizsla? Ok, know this:



"They quickly form close bonds with their owners, including children. Often they are referred to as 'velcro' dogs because of their loyalty and affection. They are quiet dogs, only barking if necessary or provoked. Sometimes when these dogs feel neglected or want something, they will cry."
 




Close bonds? Loyalty and affection? Crying when they feel neglected? Get out of town with those super super cute attributes, Hungarian Vizslas! This breed actually gets researched a lot in this household, mostly because there is an HV that gets taken for walks in my neighbourhood and despite the goofy gait of the one pictured above, it is the most beautiful elegant little doggy. 


You can bet I got pretty excited when I read this about the Boston Terrier:






"Their usually sensible attitude towards barking makes them excellent choices for apartment dwellers."

 






Nothing about that little guy on the right makes me think that s/he has a sensible approach to anything but nevertheless you guys, the BT is an excellent choice for apartment dwellers which is exactly what I am!

Poodles are my first doggy love, because I grew up with them. First we had Biff, then Wilbur, and now my parents have Alby and Ned. Just because I  have lived with several, doesn't mean I don't want to read about them on the internet sometimes, which is how I discovered this: 

"All of the Poodle's ancestors were acknowledged to be good swimmers, although one member of the family, the truffle dog (which may have been of Toy or Miniature size), it is said, never went near the water."



Cute!
I wish I could close this post by telling you guys that after all this research I have decided to get a dog but goddamn it, I just can't. Home alone all day guys. In a tiny apartment. 
That would make anyone cry. 
Maybe I should move!


2 comments:

  1. Hey dude I tried to post this yesterday but it didn't work or maybe because it has a link it went to spam. Anyways, have a look at these little cuteheads if you start thinking srsly about puppies: http://www.iggyrescue.com.au/ and also, I will help you with walks for as long as we live close to each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for telling me about Iggy Rescue. I have totally bookmarked it. You are the bestest for offering to help with walks. That actually makes the whole proposition a little more realistic. Say, is Atticus with you now? Is he being cute?

      Delete