Friday, December 9, 2011

Winning Combos (PM)

I once sang Under Pressure with Tickle, Pickle's brother, at karaoke. If I didn't appreciate what a winning combination Freddie and Bowie were before (which of course I did) then I certainly did after that. What a complete and utter balls up our version was. No disrespect to Tickle, he was a great, but it turns out that Bowie and Freddie have some kind of wonderful that a couple of punk kids like us could never hope to imitate.

So mate, as soon as you told me you were writing about winning combos in the AM today, I knew I was going to devote PM to tomato and basil. Possibly my all time top winning combo. Nature's too, because not only do tomato and basil taste like a miracle, they also function as companion plants, with the basil acting as an insect repellent so those plump fruity babies can ripen and get in all of our mouths. Does nature really know its shit or what?!
Anyway, I arranged a little audience with the muse last night so as to get good and inspired, by which I mean I made insalata caprese with all these fancy style heirloom tomatoes and the good buffallo mozzarella they have at that cheese shop on Elgin Street.
I forgot to take a photo of the buffalo mozzarella before I ate it.

Inspiration came alright. Effing delicious. And as I was working my way through dinner I couldn't stop thinking about all the other delicious winning combos out there. Wine and cheese. Apple and cinnamon. All these things, when put together, become something more than the sum of their parts. But I pretty much blew my own mind when I thought of the winning combo that is scones with jam and cream. Sure, I love a scone, I love some jam and believe me when I tell you that a litter of baby kittens could not love cream more than I do.  But put them together and you get the most memorable threeway of all!

But  I don't want to detract from tomato and basil. You are my gold medal winning combo, you taste like summertime and I love you.


No comments:

Post a Comment