Monday, December 12, 2011

Anticipating Christmas (AM)


The other day I had my first fruit mince pie of the season. Moments later, I had my second. During the second, it really hit me: I am so effing excited about Christmas! 

It happens like this every year. When I see the decorations go up I’m all for pete’s sake! Its November!Then I eat a mince pie or I hear a pleasing Christmas carol and bam! suddenly I am full with the milk of Christmas cheer and am totally busting for it to come because I just know it’s going to be the best day ever. I pretty much love every one and every thing overnight. If I wasn’t the kind of person who smiles at strangers normally, I would totally start when Christmas fever takes hold.  When I hang out with my people, I want to hug them so damn hard at the end of the night and maybe even let myself tear up because I love those effing guys and it’s Christmas!
Truth be told, this pre-Christmas feeling of love for the world and all its creatures is actually my favourite part about the whole thing. Real Christmas is kind of a bust compared to my imagination. Don’t get me wrong, I love the K family and look forward to eating ham and drinking beer with them on Real Christmas day. But its quite likely that my imagination of it, where the food is delicious, the conversation stimulating and amusing in equal parts and there is  much ruffling of one another's hair because we're all such a bunch of scallywags will be slightly better than the reality, which will involve one or more of the following:
  • wanting to cry because I'm too full for second dinner 
  • wanting to cry because when we inevitably start talking about football, I realise that Melbourne  may never ever win a grand final
  • depending on how drunk I am, wanting to cry because I know I will never captain the Melbourne Football Club to a winning grand final
  • wanting to punch everybody because when we start playing board games no one takes it seriously enough
  • wanting to punch everybody, and then find a new family, because people are sharing their political views
  • wanting to watch TV because I am bored. 
Not that these things are without charm. Even writing that list just now fills me with a pleasing sense of familiarity. But I guess that's just goes to show how nice anticipating Christmas really is. Plus, anticipating Christmas last for days and days! Real Christmas is over in a flash. Anticipate Christmas with me everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment