Tuesday, December 20, 2011

An open letter to Terry Gross (AM)



Dear Terry Gross,

Hello there. My name is K and I write a blog called Miss Soft Crab with my friend J. Perhaps you have heard of us? Just kidding, Terry Gross, no one has ever heard of us. But not to worry, Terry Gross. All you need to know is this: J and I write a blog about things we like and things we think about and we are here to tell you that you and your radio show are what we have liked and thought about the most in 2011.

Personally, I like everything about your show, Terry Gross. I like how you always seem super interested in the people you interview. I like how you make all the people you interview seem super interesting and super lovely. Even the boring ones, like the person who wrote that book about bananas that time. You seemed very interested in that guy, and so I got kind of interested in the banana guy too. It's impossible not to, when you're listening to Fresh Air.  Listening to your show has the same effect on me that listening to one of my people telling me about something they are interested in has. I don't know about you Terry Gross, but when a person I really like tells me about something they really like, no matter how uninterested I am in that topic, I find their interest so charming that I pretty much always walk away thinking that thinking things like  'wow, I guess tropical fish ARE super awesome!'. Listening to Fresh Air is just like that.

I also like how you sometimes seem like a real fan-girl when you are talking to some people, like that time you interviewed the guy who wrote The Wire. You told him how disappointed you were that the show was ending because you really liked it and all the characters. At the end of the interview, you said to him "Thanks for The Wire" and you said it in a way that made me think you were really going to miss The Wire. I thought that was really nice. I also like it how if one of your guests says something that you think is kind of lame, you totally call them on it. Like that time you interviewed Anne Hathaway and she was talking about how she plays this ugly duckling who gets transformed in to a 'beautiful swan' in The Devil Wears Prada. You said that you think it's dumb the way movies expect us to believe that people like Anna Hathaway could be ugly ducklings. Then Anne Hathaway says something like "oh, you haven't seen me without my make up"and you, Terry Gross, well you could practically hear your eyes roll. I loved that.

I like to listen to your show when I am on the tram on the way to work. Also, when I am cooking. Sometimes when I am falling asleep. Always when I wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep. It's good at all times of the day and night, Terry Gross. Fresh Air really works, you know? Your radio show really works.

Also, finally, I love the name Fresh Air. I love a pun, and I have very positive associations with the term  Fresh Air because of Joyce, this really nice old lady who used to babysit my brothers and I when we were small. Joyce was as kind and lovely as babysitters come,  but she was not the sharpest tool in the shed. For ages and ages, after my Mum left her a note asking that she leave the back door open to let fresh air in, she thought we had a cat called Fresh Air. Nowadays, when I hear you say "This is Fresh Air, I'm Terry Gross", I give a little chuckle because it makes me think of Joyce.

Obviously I'm not the first person to tell you how awesome you and your show are. I mean, you've been doing this show for ages and ages, you know how awesome it is. And your guests often say how happy they are to talk to you. In fact, when they don't say it I think geez guy, pay your respects why don't you. But anyway Terry Gross, it's Christmas, and I just wanted to let you know that I really really love Fresh Air, and I'm really happy that you're out there, and I just wanted to say thanks.

Bye for now, Terry Gross.
Love from K

No comments:

Post a Comment