Friday, December 2, 2011

Friday Favourites: Coffee (AM)

My office is on the 23rd floor of a building that mainly belongs to a large telecommunications company we will call PhoneTown. When I catch the lift to my office, I almost always share it with between 1 and 10 dudes from PhoneTown. And when I say dudes, I mean dudes. I swear there are 20 PhoneTown dudes for every PhoneTown lady. And not in that good way.

From time to time, usually when there is no one else on the lift,  dudes from PhoneTown will try to strike up a conversation with me. Without exception, these conversations are totally lame - some of the lamest I have ever had in fact. And I say that as someone who loves talking about lame shit, so you know it got to be bad. When I'm on the lift with a PhoneTown brother and I hear that tell-tale intake of breath that means I am about to talk to you, I just want to slap my forehead. But instead I smile and nod and listen to the dumb shit they say while privately thinking  uncharitable thoughts. Par example:

"Another day, another dollar, right?" *eyeroll*
"You can't possibly work at PhoneTown. You look way too happy!". Thanks for ruining my buzz, d-bag.
"So what's on Level 23?" Your mother!

However, of all the dumb shit dudes from PhoneTown have said to me, by far the dumbest thing was said to me just the other day. It was first thing in the morning, so I was holding a cup of coffee. Dude said:
"You've got a coffee. That's a good way to start the morning."
He said it like no one has ever thought to start the day with a coffee before. And he looked at me all expectantly, like he had astutely picked up on a special interest of mine, and like maybe we would bond because we were the only two people in the world who think it is a good idea to start the day with a coffee. I really had to make an effort not to laugh and say "Oh, brother!". I mean, that is the kind of lame comment that makes you feel a little offended on behalf of your brain and  ears. I got off the lift and walked to my desk, reflecting on what had just happened and shaking my head slowly.  It wasn't until I sat down that I actually took a sip of my coffee. Of course, the second I did so, all my troubles melted away because coffee is the most delicious and wonderful thing and every cup I have, I fall in love all over again.
Two sips in I was thinking you know what PhoneTown guy? You are effing right.You're not lame, you're just getting back to basics.  Now that I am not on a coffee high I have reverted to thinking that PhoneTown guy was really lame, but when I'm drinking that stuff, you can tell me anything and I won't care, because it's just me and the coffee guys. It's just me and the coffee.

Ever since that morning I've kind of reconnected with my love for coffee. It's been so great! I have been paying extra special attention to how delicious it is, instead of just throwing it back so I can stop jonesing. I think you should all do the same.

So lets hear it for coffee. Today's Friday Favourite. A little cup of miracles that you can enjoy whenever you want for only $3.50 or thereabouts.


This is what this morning's coffee looked like.


1 comment: