Monday, November 28, 2011

Baking failures hurt so bad (PM)


Gosh, I’m sorry your cake was such a disaster! It had so much promise. Didn’t’ we all though, ay?

You know from that picture you really can’t tell that just a little earlier that cake had been a lumpy, sloppy, marscapone mess. It looks fine. Just a little nude. Not that the giant candle is doing it any favours. I’m sure that it's not just me that thinks that large, lone, out-of-context poles/pole-like things seem phallic in a way that in-context poles/pole-like things don’t.

Funnily enough the birthday cake I made for my mother’s birthday last month was also mildly disastrous.  I tried to make this chocolate roll cake. I don’t know if you can be bothered reading a whole other blog post when you’ve got my awesome post right here to read, so I’ll just tell you that basically what the writer, Deb, says is that she has found a great way to ensure that you can roll this cake without breakages. The truth was I didn’t fully trust her and would have made a layer cake if I had more than one round cake tin. But I had no choice. I had to roll.

So I rolled the fresh from the oven cake with cocoa in a tea towel and when I unravelled it cracks galore! But what could I do?! I had to re-roll it with the whipped cream and raspberry as per my original vision because otherwise I just would have a collection of broken bits of cake. Here is out it turned out:


Thanks for nothing, Deb! (Except for a delicious light beautiful chocolate cake recipe that I will totally make again in layers. And frankly I can't freaking wait!)

No comments:

Post a Comment