Friday, June 15, 2012

The Great Gatsby 2012 (AM)

 

Do you know what film I love? Baz Luhrmann's! All of them. Yep, even Australia. I know it got a bad wrap, but I loved it. I loved the Wizard of Oz thing it had going on. That Technicolour styling. And you know what else? It made me feel things. When Drover was running around thinking Nicole was dead after Darwin was bombed...I really felt it. So sue me.

I like Australia a lot. But in fact Strictly Ballroom and Romeo + Juliet are actually two of my favourite films.


And Moulin Rouge! Of course I effing love that film. The singing! The dancing! The drama! The Ewan! Spectacular, spectacular!

 
I think Baz makes fucking great films. I think they are beautiful, but not without substance. That is to say I think they have substance. I respond to them on all sorts of levels and that is exactly what I want from a film and rarely what I get. Sure, they are not super deep but who wants that in all the films? Not me. Some films, yes. All the films, no

It is fair to say that I am pretty damn excited about The Great Gatsby. And not just because I love Baz, but because I also effing love that book. What a goddamn beautiful marriage! Not to mention the beautiful reuniting of DiCaprio and Luhrmann. Yeah, I am excited.

So, a few weeks ago, I saw the trailer on the news. I have to say I felt a little concerned. Yeah it had the energy and beauty I expected from Baz but that party scene, presumably Gatsby's first party, it looked so much like the R+J party.

Gatsby's party


The Capulet's party


See?

Maybe Baz is just being super self-referential, but I couldn't help feeling a little worried that maybe it would be a rehash of old turf.

But then, well, I watched it again.

 

The hedonism, the tortured lovers, the pain, the joy, yeah, it kind of is a rehash. A rehash of all the stuff Baz does best! Like the genius he is! I can't fucking wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment