Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Time I Made (ate) Hot Cross Buns (PM)



Oh, hi guys!

So you know this morning when K told us she made hot cross buns and then said "If only I could get a second, objective opinion! Whatever you do, readers, stay tuned to Miss Soft Crab"? Do you think she was suggesting I should make these buns too? Or that I should drive all the way over to her house and let myself in with the emergency spare keys she once gave me and eat me a bun? Yeah, I thought so too.

What I was hoping to bring you today was a story of hijinks and deliciousness but what I have instead is a morality tale.

First, lets talk hot buns!

You know, when I got to K's house and let myself it was almost as if she had been expecting me.


Inviting buns

Even the chopping board seemed pleased to see me.

HI!


Can I say at this point that I actually did need to drop something off at K's house anyway. Can I also say that I helped myself to those hot buns, and friends, they were delicious!


Here's what I loved about them:
Figs!
Apricots!
Tutti-fruitiness!
Denseness!
Crunchy bottom!

I loved that they were sort of crunchy on the bottom without being in the least bit burnt. They could have done with a little more spice, but I am certainly not complaining. I would never let myself into someone's house, eat their food and then complain about it! Whaddya take me for?!

But even though  got to eat delicious buns my morning was far from delightful.

On the way to K's I had to make a couple of stops. On the last of these my car door latch did some weird thing when I tried to close it and the latchy bit got stuck so that the door couldn't close. As I sat on the kerb, struggling with Baby in one hand and a knife in the other trying to fix the latch, a kind passer-by stopped to try and help and while investigating the problem broke another door latch in the same way. Um, thanks guy. I felt confident I could have fixed these eventually but that old fella kept my knife and plugged away. To be fair he managed to fix both doors but geez guy, could you not have broken the other one first? Boy was I glad when that was over. Then I went to get my wallet to buy the thing I stopped for. Oh, but I had lost it during the latch kerfuffel. After 10 minutes I found it under a car seat. Lucky those HCBs were waiting for me.

Those HCBs weren't enough to get Baby over the fact he was totally tired and POed and he cried the whole way home. You guys, I know this doesn't sound that bad but my jeans are really tight and it was hot and I can assure you it all sucked. Not the buns, the rest of it.


 It's almost as if the universe was telling me that what K had meant by "If only I could get a second, objective opinion! Whatever you do, readers, stay tuned to Miss Soft Crab." was "J, make these buns!" Whoopsee.

And thanks for the buns, Mate.

2 comments:

  1. In case you missed the moral I think it was don't use friends keys to steal their food

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only you had known that there was leftover Eggplant Parmagiana in the fridge. You could have had a real party!

    ReplyDelete