Friday, May 19, 2017

A mugs game

Buying mugs is easy, but having a great mug for a cup of tea is hard.






It seems I have no trouble buying mugs. I have plenty. Nice ones I was attracted to in op shops mainly, ones I like having in my house, and they are fine for a cup of coffee. But a good mug for a cup of tea - that is something else all together. And that is a much more important cup to have because I usually only have one cup of coffee at home but a cup of tea, well I may have two or three of those a day in winter.


And in fact, despite this lovely, and inexplicably brown cup collection my favourite cup to drink coffee from is this Peter Rabbit cup.



Which I think - though I could be wrong - was gifted to Baby by K's mother when he was born. And which, therefore, seems an inappropriate coffee cup. But I don't care, it's perfect.

But tea, for tea, I am still looking for a cup. The look is important, the feel even more so, and in this case size really does matter, perhaps more than anything. Though shape is crucial too. For tea you need a much bigger cup than for coffee but not something so big that the tea in the bottom will go cold before you have a chance to finish it. You just need it to hold the perfect amount of tea. And it needs to feel nice in your hands of course. And it is amazing how hard it is to find a mug that fits the bill. I know because I've been looking and though I've seen cups lately that seem almost great but when I held them they just didn't seem right.

And the more I write about it, the more I think, what a fucking idiot I am. Why the fuck do I think I need a perfect tea cup. Just make a pot of tea and refill one of those smaller cups! Perfect tea cup! What has this world come to?!

No comments:

Post a Comment