Thursday, September 22, 2011

The strange adorable men of UK 'talent'-based reality TV

Everything I know about Pop Idol and X-Factor UK I learned from Graham Norton. Except for what I know about Susan Boyle which I learned from pop culture and also an old boss who once busted me watching YouTube and then asked me if I had seen Susan Boyle. I had no idea what she was talking about at the time and just kind of smiled, awkwardly bobbing my head until she went away. Worked every time.

The first time I saw Jedward was on The Graham Norton Show. They are some pretty weird talkative, finish-each-others-sentences, super cheerful pop star twins. They won UK X-Factor a few years ago.


Oh, you don't know Jedward? They were Ireland's entry into Eurovision this year. But before that they were on Graham Norton. And they were pretty creepy. I think Sarah Jessica Parker and Joan Rivers were pretty creeped out. They kind of reminded me of Brothers of the Head.

No, I don't think all twins look the same. And some of my best friends are twins.* Jedward are creepy in the opposite way to these guys in Brothers of the Head but there is definitely something similar. Anyway, I think Jedward are kind of adorable in their creepiness.

And what about Will Young? I have seen him on the GN show a couple of times. He won the first Pop Idol, apparently. And his music is definitely as shit as Jedward's. I guess we are lucky this stuff doesn't get exported here (maybe it does, I have no idea what the kids are listening too, but I am pretty sure it is awful). But Will Young is also kind of adorable. He is quite camp, almost handsome but with this huge under bite. Oh, here he is now.

See what I mean. And dude obviously loves a good time. I saw him on GN last night you see. He was so well groomed. I kept thinking about how if I was a gay male pop star I would have no grooming problems at all. But I guess that is never going to happen.

*It's not true. None of my best friends are twins. But I have had good twin friends in the past. I actually can't think of any twins I know anymore. I guess they don't hang out in pairs as much when they aren't at school anymore. Wow, I have to go and find me some twin friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment