Monday, August 22, 2011

This weekend in food

I had a rip snorter of a food weekend.

On Friday night I went to Lupino with Banana and we had potato, rosemary and taleggio pizza. we sat up at the bar which looks over the kitchen and watched the chefs work. While sitting there I realised two things: quattro formaggio sauce should really be called cheeses and cream due to the volume of cream it involves, and kitchens must have excellent ventilation because even though I was 2 meters away from a stove covered in pots and pans simmering with this and that, I couldn't smell any cooking smells. Amazing!

On Saturday night, the Chutney Club family went to Kumo Izakaya, East Brunswick's hottest new izakaya. We had our very own private tatami room which was super awesome. We ate a banquet that included (amongst other things) edamame, sashimi, beef tataki, yakitori, ox tongue and finally ice cream. It was all delicious but readers, my god, that sashimi!



If they told me that the fish from which the sashimi came were specially reared in secret waters where there are no predators and therefore the fishies live a life of only joy and happiness and security and have access to all the pilchards they could wish for, I would believe it. It was the most delicious sashimi I have ever had.
Of course, we also consumed a lot of Sapporo and sake and therefore there was much hilarity and cooking up of plans to go camping over the cup weekend. (Lets totally do that guys, it is a great plan!)

However, due to personal levels of sake and Sapporo consumption, the K motor required a bit of a kick start on Sunday morning. Luckily Chez K is right around the corner from Mankoushe, East Brunswick's hottest Lebanese pizza pie bakery (or something). I don't know about you guys, but when I think "how will I manage this mild hanover?" I pretty much always decide that I should feed it until it goes away and I was very optimistic about Mankoushe's ability to help me do this. I got a pizza with lamb and egg and then slathered it with chili sauce from Oasis bakery, then sat in the sun and ate it while I read the paper.


Readers, DO THIS! I wanted to high five myself with every bite. It was the perfect medicine, and one that I needed because AB, Chambo, Lil and I had a lunch reservation at The Estelle and I really wanted to be in top form for The Estelle.


For those of you who missed it, here is what J and I had to say about The Estelle last time we went. Everything we said then still applies. I really think it is one of the greats and I can't wait to go again. AB, Lil and Chambo are all very well, but Lil has to go to the toilet all the time because she is pretty pregnant these days and AB had to wear a wrist splint because she has RSI. The RSI set in a few weeks ago when she bought a bunch of paint samples to test out on the wall of the house she is renovating with Mr. AB in South Yarra. It seems that the action of painting many small squares on the wall can cause wrist damage. I would have liked to have included a photo, but AB kept flipping me the bird whenever I tried to snap a picture because she thought I would ridicule her.
AB, I seek only to raise awareness of this affliction! Anyway, it was a great weekend full of lovely food with lovely people. And did you guys see all that sunshine! Man alive!

No comments:

Post a Comment