Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Pimento cheese - a new best thing (AM)



As you know I just had a baby. He was not a girl and he is not called L'Wren of course, not even here in pseudonym. As as you may also know K is about to skip town for a 6-month work stint around the UK, so we are going to take a little break, just a week or two. But before we do, I wanted to tell you about something very, very special.  Pimento cheese. Blizzie made it for chutney club and, um, I effing love it. It included all my favourite elements: cheese; deliciousness; the look and taste of the eighties, in all its chunky, salmon pink glory! Writing about it now I can barely believe I'd never had it before and once it entered my life I barely ate anything but.



Until, 3 days later when the jar was empty. 

Pimento cheese is from the Southern USA and according to Wikipedia it is known as the caviar of the South. And so it should be, it is super special, delicious and eighties. 

In the mix Blizzie made I think there was grated cheddar cheese, creme fraiche, mayonnaise, pimento, cornichons and maybe some other things. And I love all those things. Although theoretically a mixture of them does sound a little gross I cannot tell you how freaking good it is. Please friends, if you find yourself at a lose end while the lady Crabs take a little break keep yourself busy and happy by whipping up a batch of the good stuff. 

1 comment:

  1. Aw I am glad you liked it. The recipe is in the Kinfolk Table book and I too am ADDICTED to it. We like to call it heart attack in a jar. It also has sour creme, scallions, shallots, and it can be made with some Tabasco if you're that way inclined :)

    ReplyDelete