Friday, March 24, 2017

In praise of sleep



On Wednesday I was so tired. I nearly fell asleep on the couch while Newbie watched iView on my phone. Then later I nearly fell asleep again when Newbie and Baby did something. I don't even know what. I was practically asleep after all. So that night I went to bed at 9:30.

Newbie, who was still awake, came into my bed so I didn't look at Instagram or listen to a podcast I just rolled over so we could both go to sleep. Baby came in a little later but I was already half asleep so just pretended I didn't notice and when LB came in later still and saw the tableau he briefly woke me with his exclamation "Are you kidding?!" Then he went to bed in the kids room and I was back asleep within seconds. And I stayed that way until Little Bean woke me at 4. And,  just to round out the boring details of my sleep, I'll tell you that I went back to sleep then until 7 and yesterday I felt like a million bucks. What a difference a sleep makes. And when I say I felt like a million bucks I guess I probably felt like a normal person. Like a person without a baby and two other small children. Just a person with a moderate amount of demands on their time or with more sleep under their sleeve. I cleaned the fridge, I did a giant supermarket shop, I made a doctor's appointment, a dentist appointment, I booked Baby's birthday party which isn't happening until June. JUNE! I've never done anything this far in advance. Imagine how productive I could be if I went to bed at 9:30 everyday. Oh, how I wanted to do the same again last night. But Broad City was on at 10 and I stayed up to watch it. But then I went straight to bed so I have reasonable high hopes for today.

I love sleep and I'm really going to make an effort to get more of it because I think it may just make everything better.

No comments:

Post a Comment