Thursday, October 22, 2015

Memory Lane (AM)


The last few days I've been trying to get the paperwork together for my 2014-15 tax return. This is particularly challenging when you are someone without a proper filing system and a newborn baby. But I like to think of myself as a semi can-do kind of girl, and so in the five-minute windows of opportunity that present themselves when KB is sleeping, I've been going over electronic bank-statements to gather some of the information I need.
Reading through these statements is like being transported back in time through your purchases. And it really tells a story about my habits and my state of mind at certain times. On 1 October last year I bought a bunch of stuff at Barkly Square and spent a bunch of money at the Union Hotel in Brunswick. That's pretty normal and therefore pretty boring, but going over it I realised it was the day I got back from overseas and I remember how excited I was to be back in Brunswick and doing those everyday Brunswick things. Six weeks or so later I can see I went to see the GP, which was the visit that confirmed I was pregnant with KB. The following day I spent some money at Aesop, which is something I often do when I feel overwhelmed and want to get some calmness in my life. 
Maybe it's because I spend a lot of time at home alone these days, but doing this has made me extremely nostalgic and quite happy. And all for the cost of an internet connection which we all already have anyway. 
Go take a trip down memory lane today!

No comments:

Post a Comment