Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Reasons I will miss our French Intern

For the last six months, we have had a French intern, Le Flav, working with us. Not here at Miss Soft Crab. OMG. If that was that case, you guys would fo shiz know about it by now. No, of course I mean we've had a French intern working with us at my day job.  I've been dying to tell you guys about him, but I was worried it would be super unprofessional or something. I guess I'm still not really sure how to strike that work/blog balance. Anyway, I wanted to write about him so badly because pretty much every day he would do or say something super adorable and the whole time he was doing this adorable stuff, he was also being French. I know! So much to blog about.
 
Sadly, his internship came to an end last week. Happily, the fact that he no longer works with us means it is open season on talking about how awesome it is to have a French intern. But right now, given that he's only just gone, I'm feeling all reflective, and all I want to talk about is how much we will miss him. There are tonnes of reasons. Personally, I will miss shit out of the cakes he used to bake, including a classic of his native Brittany, called Far which is a delicious custardy little number.  I will miss the way he would embody the stereotype of French people, by complaining about how unattractive British people are, and how the cheese in this country is no good.  The way he would indulge me whenever I wanted to "speak" French. He would only laugh a little bit when I effed up the pronunciation, which was every time. So gracious. That's something I will miss.

But without doubt, the thing that I will miss most of all is the hilarious emails he used to send.
Hilarious, because he is really funny. Also, because of the whole lost in translation when speaking in a foreign language thing. Also hilarious because I think he thinks I am about 45.

Check this one out, from a few months ago.

Le Flav wrote:

I need your assistance to make a difficult choice...

On Friday, it is my mum's birthday. And, as a model child, I want to buy a present online to send it to her. I think I'm gonna buy a shirt. I have selected some shirts on a website but now I don't know which one I have to choose. That's why I need the assistance of a good-testing woman : YOU. Just imagine : you're my mum. Of course, you're a little older than you currently are, around 50. The question is: what would like to get as a present from your 21yo beloved son?

Then I have another question, more technical. You are my mum. You are a little shorter than you currently are. What is the size that would fit you? 36? (I really have no idea about what it represents).

Note the phrase "a little older than you currently are...about 50". Geez! Note also that I recommended option 1. I never did ask him which one he went for in the end. I'm sure she loved it.

Here's another hilarious email I received just the other day, which refers to another work colleague, also called K.

Le Flav writes:
Hahaha, I'm really stupid...

We just received an email  inviting us for a lunch before K  goes on maternity leave. For a moment, I have thought about you: WTF!!!

Stupid brain that considers you're are the only K ... How could I think about you being pregnant...
Um, because I'm not post menopausal, Le Flav.

Here's the last email he sent, which he sent to the whole team to say goodbye.  I think I like this one most of all....

Hi all!
Thanks again for everything,
Thanks for the gift, for the card. I have read all your nice messages. I promise you I have been really touched.
Working with you was both great and worthwhile. Thanks for your patience, thanks for allowing me to improve my English, thanks for making my ears more comfortable with your dodgy Australian accent!

See you then,
 
Isn't he adorable?
Sigh.
 
Bye Le Flav. Miss Soft Crab misses you already. 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Speaking as a short 50(ish) woman, I'd say definitely proposal 2. I wonder if they export to Australia ? 14.95 euro is really cheap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I guess Frenchies really do know about women and fashion in a way I will never understand!

      Delete