Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Pour Cloud (AM)


The other day there was a cask of wine in my kitchen. And I was moving it or something when, on the side of the box, I noticed a picture of a glass of wine and some text in the empty bit of the wine glass that said 'Your pour cloud is bigger than you think'.

I'd never heard the expression 'pour cloud', but I liked it. I imagined that the pour cloud is the space left in a glass of wine when you have poured the correct amount, and that for all different glasses the pour cloud is, of course, different.



Of course a smaller glass means that for one standard drink your pour cloud would be smaller than in a larger balloony glass, even though you have the same amount of drink.
I loved this pour cloud. And what an interesting way to make people think about their alcohol consumption, a whole other way to think about pouring standard drinks. Negative space!

How could I find out more about the pour cloud?! Like, how much space, or cloud, should be left in a glass? How do you figure it out? And this phrase, 'pour cloud', had it been around a long time? Was it a phrase that wine people used? I mean, it makes perfect sense, but when, why, how did it come into being?!

God, I had so many questions!

Did I mention that the cask might have been upside down when I read that text? That I was distracted? Should I tell you that after pondering this lovely cloud I reread the text and saw that it said 'Your pour could be bigger than you think'.

No comments:

Post a Comment