Wednesday, May 27, 2020

I miss you '90s



I have to say I'm disappointed but not surprised by K's assessment of the television show High Fidelity. I also loved the book and the movie, which I rewatched not that long ago and fully enjoyed. And why doesn't John Cusack work more. He is great. And so is Joan.

I read a review of the TV show a while ago before I knew it was going to be on iView and though the review was a little mixed I was still excited about the prospect because of my love of previous High Fidelities and because I am also intrigued by Zoe Kravitz. I saw her in a Fantastic Beasts movie and enjoyed her well enough but I thin kwe all know that you can't really get a good read of someone in Harry Potter universe so I want to see more of her. I mean, she is everywhere and people love her and I listened to the song Flowers for Zoe hundreds or thousands of times in the '90s so I want to know more.

Anyway, when I saw HF was on iView I suggested watching it to LB but he was about as enthusiastic about it as Appleheart was about MJ by the sounds of things, so I haven't watched it yet. But I guess there were some alarm bells. Like once I saw the ads I could tell it might be a bit earnest. I am all for turning white men into black women. I need another TV show about a white man like I need a punch in the face. But there is the concern that by doing that a show may be on a bit of a mission which they take a bit seriously and really want to send a message. You know what I'm saying. Also when male characters are turned into women they often become that stereotype damaged woman, not interested in love, probably because she's been hurt too many times. But the right man just needs to come along to show her that she too can love too. Is that what's happening here? I don't know. I mean, really I'm just talking a bunch of bullshit and should probably just go watch an episode of the show.

In other news it was Lenny Kravitz's birthday yesterday. Still is on the other side of the world. Happy birthday Lenny.

No comments:

Post a Comment