Tuesday, July 26, 2011

I just don't know what to do with my porridge

When I worked in an office I used to eat a warm muesli that I would make for breakfast. I guess it was really porridge. I would put oats, LSA, roasted almonds and sometimes dried apricots in a bowl with some soy milk and microwave it. It was delicious and sweet and warming. It was a really good porridge. When I tried to replicate it at home it never quite worked. I think maybe the microwave was an important factor.

At home, for the last 18 months or so, I tend to have porridge with stewed apples, cinnamon, vanilla yoghurt and chopped dry roasted almonds. Sometimes I may vary it. No yoghurt. Raspberries or dried apricots cooked in the porridge. There are other things I may do. One time I had it with some left over raspberry coulis. YEAH BOYYYYYYYYYY!



But you can't do that every day. I have porridge and apples, etc. most mornings. At least 4 or 5 days a week. And I love this porridge. I really do. But 6 months ago it was still making my heart sing. Now I just enjoy it a lot. Where has the singing heart gone?

A couple of years ago Chickpea had a porridge party. It was on a Saturday afternoon and I was quite hungover. When I got there I was starving. What I really wanted to eat was hot chips. Of course what I got to eat was porridge. I think she served it four different ways. One of them totally slips my mind, but I remember the others, at least in sentiment if not in every detail.

There was one served in a waffle cone cup with maple syrup and facon; one infused with kaffir lime leaf, maybe served with coconut milk and palm sugar; there was one with dark chocolate and I think raspberries. And maybe the other was a more simple, regular kind of porridge. They were actually all very yummy. Even the American style one, but I don't really think any of them are the porridge to replace my daily porridge. I feel like maybe my porridge needs a change, but I don't know what to do with it. Maybe I should eat eggs for a while instead

No comments:

Post a Comment