Monday, September 19, 2011

I don't know what to feel anymore

A little while ago, J and I bagged the shit out of GOOP. The lady and the website. 
You can refresh your memories here, here and then again here and here (kind of). The upshot of all our GOOP themed posting was that she is really UGH and she should keep it to herself.
While I would love to be the kind of person who can just identify UGHness and then move on, I am not that person at all. I am more the type who likes to revisit something I find UGH again and again so I can go UGH whenever I feel like it. It’s a nice stress reliever for me. That’s why I found myself reading every last word of GOOP’s recent newsletter about her trip to the Venice Film Festival. I guess I just wanted to get some UGH out of my system and I knew that GOOP was a sure bet to let me do that. But you know what happened? I kind of found it enjoyable. I feel really weird about it. The strange feelings began with the image of her sitting around playing on her computer.
Normally, I would think ‘UGH GOOP. You think you are so great with your long unkempt hair and your casual jeans! Like a real woman of the people! As if GOOP!”
Instead I thought:
“Yellow hair is pretty. So clean.”
Later there is a picture of her getting ready.
Normally I would have thought: “Oh for pete’s sake GOOP. You think showing how many people it takes to make you pretty is going to make us feel better? Forget you!”
Instead I thought
“I want to go to there.”
It was very confusing for me.
Of course, I went UGH for the whole rest of the newsletter, especially the bits where she is talking about Matt Damon, but just calling him Matt, and the bit where she says she found a bunch of nice jewelery, but apparently needs a sugardaddy so she can buy it. In those bits I was UGHing like I aint ever UGHed before.
But the fact that I enjoyed even some of it is very concerning, and makes me feel like I am going soft.  

No comments:

Post a Comment