Friday, November 2, 2012

Fitness Friday - the Travolta method (AM)


I am woman enough to admit that Fitness Friday was not necessarily the best idea that Miss Soft Crab has ever had. But it seemed good at first. Spend a month working out from these hilarious exercise books. As I see it there are two main flaws. First, exercising from a book is effing boring. Second, reading a badly conceived and badly retold exercise plan on a blog must be effing boring. So, Fitness Friday is changing a bit. Today I will update you on my progress with Jane and then, rather than give you John Travolta's routine, I will just give you some of his hot tips. Sounds heaps better, right?

Update on Jane

I gave that up weeks ago. A week or two ago when I was trying to do the workout but then Baby woke up and yada, yada, yada, that was that. Do you know how effing boring working out from a book is? And with no weights. Forget that. If I'm gonna do resistance training it is at a gym with some resistance. BUT, on the positive side since the implementation of Fitness Friday I have been going for runs fairly regularly and sometimes after a run I do push-ups and stomach crunches. I think I kind of have Jane to thank for that. I wonder how K has been going

The Travolta Method
 
John Travolta Staying Fit is all about combining the the 'spontaneity and excitement of dance with the building and toning of weightlifting'! Sounds like my kind of routine. I WANNA DANCE! Also, I love weightlifting cause I love getting strong and getting muscles. But right now I don't do any. It's a lifestyle (laziness) issue. So I guess this would actually be a really great work out for me.

The plan has you work out 6 days a week. Everyday you do the same warm up then you alternate dance exercise days with weightlifting days.

There are some things you should probably know about how Travolta got so buff for Staying Alive. Even though he 'was in the worst shape of [his] life... twenty pounds overweight' he managed to get this body in just FOUR MONTHS!



And only by working out 6 days a week with a minimum of 5 hours of working out a day and up to 14 hours a day. Also he had a personal trainer and nutritionist (of course) and Sylvester Stallone overseeing his transformation guys. And with only those factors in place we could all get this body too!



Travolta says he loves eating but he has some great tips on dieting! Firstly, with the help of Sly Stallone and his personal trainer he really dedicated himself to the diet, even though he would still sometimes stay awake all night 'just imagining what it would be like to have another meal in my stomach'. Oh sure, that sounds like a reasonable diet. Then, as he started getting buff, he says, 'my appetite for food decreased - but my appetite for sex increased! Fortunately sex is not fattening, so treat yourself to it.' Eeeeeeeeeeeewwww! Keep it to yourself Travolta.

He suggests not eating anything after 6PM and having your last meal between 5 and 6. Eeeeeeeeeeewwwww! Keep it to yourself Travolta. No way I could eat nothing after 6. Unless I was working out for 14 hours a day and was passed out for the next 10.

Remember how many exercises I told you Jane Fonda had. Heaps and heaps. So many heaps. Well John Travolta Staying Fit has almost 200 pages of work out! 200! Your crazy if you think I read them all. Basically there are a bunch of standing stretches and floor stretches in the dance section.



Oh and partner stretches. As he says "Working out with a friend is always better than working alone - especially when your partner is someone of the opposite sex!'

Travolta partnering with himself


Then there is the weightlifting section, which I guess is kind of similar to Jane Fonda's except it involves weights and is way more manly.


Travolta says you should train to failure. And that is a workout I can get behind. Jane and her 'just work out a bit' attitude is bullshit if you ask me. I'm more of a go hard or go home kind a gal. Which translates to me spending most of my time at home cause I can't be bothered going hard. But hey, that's how I chose to live my life.

So, where does that leave me and Fitness Friday?  Probably just going for more runs and maybe doing some more sit-ups and push-ups. But maybe, just maybe, I'll keep reading Travolta and get super inspired to get buffffffff!!!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment