Friday, July 1, 2011

Welcome to fiancial year 2011-12!

It's Friday. And the first day of a new financial year! I wouldn't normally care about the second part, but tonight my work is having a party to mark the end of the financial year, so I care a little bit I guess.

This party is an annual event. I went last year and it was kind of boring. It was at bar at the docklands and we were told we couldn't turn the music up loud because the venue was worried that the local docklands residents might complain. Needless to say that venue doesn't exist any more. Basically last year's party consisted of everyone standing around in a brightly lit room, talking about work and listening to very faint music. Super awkward. The only notable thing that happened was that at the end of the night, one of the graduates threw up right near the exit door, so we all had to step over it when we were leaving. Poor girl, she probably just made an early call that it was going to be the most boring night ever and just decided to get really drunk.

Tonight's party is at some pub on Gertrude Street. The theme is 'the letter W'. I have absolutely no idea how or why this theme was selected. The letter W has, from what I can see, no greater relevance to our organisation than all the other letters, and even less relevance than some, such as the letters that make up our organisation name. Or E,O,F and Y, given that it is the end of financial year party. Whatever, somehow this theme was chosen and therefore I have to spend a night with work people dressed in their interpretation of the letter W.



I have been thinking about what to wear for a while. Based on my knowledge of how lame last year's party was, I did not want to go all out because I knew no one else would and it would not be fun. It's a shame, really. Who doesn't love a costume party where everyone goes all out? They are the best! But there is just no way it would happen at a work party. So I decided to go low key. Options I considered and discarded:



  • wearing my red and white stripey top and going as Where's Wally? This option would also allow me to amuse myself all night by thinking about that hilarious W-Herz vid. This option was abandoned because my red and white stripey top needs a wash


  • getting another three people together and going as the Wiggles. This option was abandoned because no one really wanted to wear a coloured skivvy

I had a great idea the other day. I was thinking we could go as a herd of walrus. I drew a prototype walrus mask which I was going to make for everyone.

Sadly no one was as excited about it as I was. Perhaps I didn't do a good job of explaining my vision. But that's OK, I'm going to keep that option up my sleeve for future parties.
Anyway, we considered going as a pack of wolves but it is hard to find wolf costumes for less than $20 so in the end, we decided to wear wigs.

I hired them last night and there is two to choose from.
Sample 1, blonde bob
Or sample 2, Plaits

I think I'm going with the bob, but I don't have to decide to the end of the day so fee free to put in your $0.02.

1 comment:

  1. Totally go the bob. Add oversized sunglasses and you'll be anna Wintour. Double W! ;)

    ReplyDelete