Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Chocolate bar as style inspiration - Is it wrong?

So the other day I was at The Coffee Company buying some coffee. As I was standing at the counter I saw some Ritter Sports. They were in a red packet and I fell in love with that packet. I only really saw the top of it, I don't even know what flavour it was but the thing was that it didn't make me want to eat chocolate it made me want to dress in a way I can only describe as yacht owner chic. This is basically a more mature take on one of the preferred styles of my mid-twenties, nautical.

It's possible that it was marzipan Ritter Sport
But I prefer to think that it was rum and raisin because I just don't think that marzipan could conjure the sort of yearnings in me that this packaging did.


Yacht fashion is a more preppy, rich person's version of nautical and needn't always include strictly nautical themes. It's a little more subtle. It would have lots of blue and white of course, with highlights of red, but would be wider than that, incorporating other colours, mainly pastel and would basically mean I would dress as if I summered on the Mediterranean. Perhaps this is just about wanting to be rich and summering on the Mediterranean?

I mean, for God's sakes. It is the middle of winter. If anything I should be dressing like a Snickers or Mars Bar wrapper. But look at that Mars font. That could never inspire any kind of fashion related feelings in me.

For a minute I thought the colours of Crunchie may be appropriate for winter fashions. But look what these wrappers look like:

DISGUSTING! No wonder I don't buy chocolate bars.

I guess it is hardly surprising that it took a European chocolate to make me think about style. Thank you Germans! Though if I am honest, while Australian chocolate packaging blows and most American chocolate bars are similarly unattractive, the Hershey's chocolate bar has a classic look that could work this winter. Brown knits with white or cream highlights. That could definitely work.

1 comment:

  1. As a lover of typography and all things designy I couldn't agree more J.

    ReplyDelete