Thursday, July 14, 2011

Goodbye snow, hello shame

Thanks for sharing your snow learnings, J.

It made me think about what the snow has taught me. I think the main thing I have learnt is that shimmying down the mountain for a few days is fantastic, but then it's really time to go home. I get sick of wearing so many layers, and the fact that all the indoor places smell a little bit like wet dog. So that's what I have learnt from snow.

But I've also learnt something else today.

This morning I accidentally clicked on a link that actually wasn't a link at all, but was a virus. My computer totally lost it. It went black and stopped doing all the things computers do. I called the IT guy and told him what had happened. He told me that black screen is very bad and he would have to rebuild my computer from scratch.

"Please try your hardest to keep everything from the desktop!" I pleaded.

"There is a lot of really important stuff on there that I really need!!".

I was referring to all of the work I had been doing for the last couple of weeks and had saved on the desktop because sometimes, I just don't feel like digging around the network for the right spot to save stuff. Losing all of that work would be terrible! IT guy needed to save it!

He assured me that he would definitely be able to save everything, so I trotted off feeling very relieved.

It was much later that I remembered my desktop also housed a folder containing all of the pictures of Ewan McGregor and Don Draper that I have ever posted on Miss Soft Crab. ALL OF THEM! That amounts to quite a lot of photos of hunks that I am keeping in a folder on my desktop.

Of course, the IT people couldn't retrieve the work I had done without also retrieving the folder with the pictures of the hunks. And by the time I realised, the damage would have been well and truly done. I'm pretty sure they thought it was the pictures of the hunks I was referring to when I said the stuff on my desktop was "really important stuff that I really need!" because there was a lot more smirking than usual when I went to retrieve the computer. Damn those nerds!

Anyway, I have learnt an important lesson about only posting pictures of hunks when I am posting from home. Which is why this post is so late.

Thanks for waiting.
Here is a picture of a new hunk, Michael Fassbender, for everyone to enjoy.
You're welcome!


No comments:

Post a Comment