Thursday, November 19, 2015

Bye (AM)


Sometimes I wish I could have a Bye, in the football sense of the word.
For those of you who don't know, there is one week during every AFL home and away season when a team doesn't have to play. It's their Bye. They play the week before and the week after and all the other weeks, just not that week. I guess it's the football equivalent of a public holiday, but I don't really see it like that when I fantasise about it. Public holidays are basically like an extra weekend day. While lovely, it's not what i'm talking about here. I see a Bye more like an opportunity to not front up for normal life for a few days. Maybe I would stay in a hotel and spend a lot of time in a robe. Maybe I would see lots of movies or just sleep for three days. Fundamentally it's about time out from normal life, for the purposes of replenishing.
Ferris Bueller was right. Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop to look around once in a while, you could miss it. And while taking Cameron's dad's car for a joy ride, seeing priceless works of art, posing as the sausage king of Chicago and signing in a parade are great ways of stopping to look around, so too is having a bit of a rest. A Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment