Wednesday, July 10, 2013

What I almost learned this week (AM)



This week I decided I wanted the answers to questions I had often pondered. Like “Could this sore throat and snotty nose that totally seems related to my menstrual cycle really be PMS?” and “Is chilli addictive? 'Cause I gotsta get me some.”

According to some websites “Yes, peppers are addictive. Peppers contain capsaicin, a natural chemical that sends a burning sensation from the nerve endings in the mouth to the brain. The body defends itself against this pain sensation by secreting endorphins, natural painkillers that cause a physical "rush" - a high that keeps us coming back for more.” (Statement 1). But according to the Guardian, “Capsaicin, the compound that provides the mouth-watering punch of chillies, does not seem to have any addictive qualities whatsoever.” (Statement 2). I guess Statement 2 does not actually contradict Statement 1. It’s just that the idiot that wrote Statement 1 was an idiot. Chillies probably aren’t addictive but maybe the body’s response is?

On a side note I actually saw Statement 1 repeated almost word for word on more than one website. usually with many typos and bad punctuations. So let me make it unmistakably clear that Statement 1 is the viewpoint of a bunch of other people that I do not necessarily hold to be true. Or not true. Also, the Wikipedia page for ‘chili pepper’ says nothing about addiction. And  you know my position, if it’s not on Wikipedia it doesn’t exist. Ipso facto, I just really like chilli. Wikipedia, does however say that “Psychologist Paul Rozin suggests that eating chillis is an example of a "constrained risk" like riding a roller coaster, in which extreme sensations like pain and fear can be enjoyed because individuals know that these sensations are not actually harmful. This method lets people experience extreme feelings without any risk of bodily harm.” The thrill! The addiction of the thrill!!!

As for PMS, the internet was similarly useless on this point! Although when I typed in the search for "PMS flu-like symptoms", there were a ton of results, they were all useless. At first, I was delighted that there were so many results, but nothing really gave me solid answers. Though thanks to things like the Kotex period forum page I know I’m not alone. Or it is suggested that I am not alone, because I can’t imagine that anyone but the Kotex marketing team is writing on that message board. So, I went over to Wikipedia, natch. And I learned that: a) if you don’t have actual emotional symptoms you don’t have PMS!; and b) there is an increase in probability of attempting suicide during the menses of  1.68! WHOA! Sucks to be a chick! As usual!

No comments:

Post a Comment