Wednesday, June 6, 2012

QEII Style (AM)


It's hard to get very far in this world without seeing a picture of Queen Elizabeth II. 
I have about 10 pictures of her face in my bag right now.


Those Elizabeths are nothing compared to the internets though. The Internets are full of pictures of QEII at the moment, on account of her special Diamond Jubilee.

Congratulations on being Queen for such a long time, QEII.
Just quickly, did anybody watch the river pageant? Way to act like a monarch, QEII - travelling down the Thames on a barge. You should do more of that straight up royal stuff for the remainder of your reign. It's like they say on Game of Thrones.  
"When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die". 
You've won, QEII. Have a some fun with it.
Anyway, I don't want to tell you how to suck eggs QEII. Today I would like to talk about your style. 
All of these pictures around at the moment are telling me one thing: QEII is a gaga for skirt suits, paired with matching coats and hats. 

Consider the following random sample of pictures. 


She wears it praying


She wears it when she is getting ready for a quick hug

She wears it when she is looking at her fancy boys. 
Even when the hat is fuzzy and she is wearing her diamond octopus brooch, the principle is still the same. 
She wears it when she is laughing at all of us.
   

Sure, she busted out a few dresses in her princess days, but it seems that since becoming QEII she has really committed to this look. 

Part of me thinks that if you are the Queen and you have quite a lot of disposable income to spend on clothes, it is a real shame to spend it on endless incarnations of the same kit. But then I think about the clothes I have loved over the years. How they have all met sad ends because I have worn them until they died.  Imagine if someone could have made them again and again in all the different colours of the rainbow so they never had to die, so they could live forever. That is very appealing to me.

Also, there is something kind of nice about the whole monocrhome thing. Its very neat. 
And she is so well groomed. I mean, good grooming is a big part of that whole old lady style, but QEII knocks it out of the park. Because I watch Downton Abbey,  I know how easy it is to look well groomed when you have a person dressing you each morning (I love you Mr. Bates, come back, the new guy really isn't working out), but even amongst a sea of well groomed people, the Queen is so well groomed she almost makes the others look shabby.

So I guess I all in all I kind of love QEII style.



2 comments: