Friday, November 18, 2011

What's funny? (AM)

You know, people often sometimes say to me  "K, Miss Soft Crab is so awesome prolific. With the need to produce two posts a day, five days a week (except public holidays, that would be crazy!), do you ever run out of ideas?"

Usually I chuckle and  slowly shake my head, hoping that they will forget they asked me the question because I am so tired from all the posting that I don't want to talk any more. But the truth is yes, sometimes we do run out of ideas.  And sometimes, not often, but sometimes, in the quest to deliver you guys another awesome installment of Miss Soft Crab, we do whatever we have to do for inspiration. Things like put random search words in to google and see what happens. Things like hit 'random article' on Wikipedia in the hope that it will yield fruit. Things like ultimately googling "what's funny?" which is how I found this!

If you can't be bothered reading that article, let me give you a quick summary. Its about an experiment that showed laughter is an instinctive behaviour that allows humans, as social beings, to get along in the world.  So when people laugh, it's not necessarily because they are amused, but because they are sending out a message that they are nice and friendly and up for a good time. It's a primal thing that we do so we can fit in to a social hierarchy.

I guess that makes sense.

But then the article says that according to the dude who ran the experiment, in the primate community,  "the first action to produce a laugh without physical contact — was the feigned tickle, the same kind of coo-chi-coo move parents make when they thrust their wiggling fingers at a baby."

Um, I know you're a scientist and everything guy, but I'm pretty sure that the first action to produce a laugh within the primate community was the first time one of them slipped on a banana peel. That shit would have been hilarious.  There is a scene from 30 Rock that involves Lutz falling over with a tray of drinks that would have helped me illustrate my point, but I can find it in the interweb.

Why don't we look at this one instead?



And just because it's Friday, lets look at the bit that immediately follows this one!
Hooray!

Hahahaha! That's what's funny, scientist.

No comments:

Post a Comment