Friday, July 10, 2015

What I have learned about having babies (The next day)

Yesterday, J posted about the things she has learned about having babies. Then I posted about how I am struggling to manage my time while on maternity leave.
Now I should really talk about what I have learned about having babies. But the truth is, everything I have learned about having babies has led me to form the view that I will never, ever, ever be prepared for having a baby. J said as much. Everyone says as much. So apart from following some useful tips I've received that relate to things like lighting, music and the timing of episiotomy, I'm basically just going to wing it.
Last night someone told me that giving birth is a real out of body experience, though not so out of body that you're removed from the pain. No sirree. It made me think about the time I went to see Batman, the original Batman, at the movies when I was about 8 or 9 and I had the beginnings of gastro but pretended I was fine because I really wanted to see Batman.

I was in a very strange place watching that film and it was certainly the closest I've had to an out of body experience. My memories of it are that it's pretty psychedelic, but I don't think that's right. I know enough to know that having a baby probably won't be like watching Batman. But mostly I'm just excited to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment