Thursday, November 21, 2013

Project Chocolate Cake - Final Reflections (AM)


I've had a few conversations with people about the chocolate cake project over the last few days, and thought it might be a good idea to summarise what we've learnt and make some final reflections before we all move on with our lives. 

It seems that the chocolate cake project has stirred up a feeling or two in a few of Miss Soft Crab's beloved readers. In summary, it seems that people:
- love, and I mean love, talking to me about chocolate cake at the moment.
-are impressed with the matrix and excited by the opportunities it presents 
-remember top shelf chocolate cakes from when they were little, but have no recipe that they make now that they're sold on

It's making me wonder whether maybe, just maybe, chocolate cake is something that is just better in childhood. I mean, we all had different standards back then, didn't we? We all loved cake, we all loved chocolate, and we all loved icing. Childhood chocolate cakes brought all these things together and didn't give a damn about whether the chocolate flavour came from cocoa or melted chocolate (as if real chocolate came anywhere near childhood chocolate cakes...AS IF), they didn't give a damn about how much sugar was involved, they didn't give a damn about whether the cakes came out flat.  They just showed up and that was enough to make our little kid hearts explode. But now we've been around the block a few times, we've tasted good chocolate, we've tasted good cake, we want more. We're like junkies chasing the thrill of our first taste and I'm not entirely sure it's possible. 

Having said that, I may have had a few more slices of the D.Leb cake and my love for it only grew. I stand by my original comments...it doesn't taste mega-chocolatey in and of itself... but gee whiz readers, I've tasted worse things. You bet I have. I still plan on making the Felicity Cloake recipe at some point, but that's something for down the track. Right now I have to start thinking about christmas baking because I think this is the year I am going to try my hand at a gingerbread house. And mince pies. But the gingerbread house...that shit takes planning, because i'm not talking about some bullshit ikea flat pack gingerbread house (even though I kind of love ikea food) I'm talking about the real thing.

Anyway, I just thought I'd say those things about chocolate cake, because if there's one thing this project has taught me, it's that chocolate cake makes people feel a lot of feelings. 

No idea what I'm talking about? Catch up hereherehere and here

No comments:

Post a Comment